Sunday 25 March 2012

Korean Buddy turns to a Korean Family

The day began with a trip to the Korea Institute of Energy Research (KIER), about 40-minute car ride from our school. We passed through Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST) for a short cut and arrived the artificial football field with cold winds blowing onto our face.

We were against a formidable team of Korea's Board of Audit and Inspection (OOOooooOOO...), they had bright colored uniforms and by their movements during warming up, this team must've played together for years.

Our team met once (and I was hiking last week) last Sunday at the basketball court for some familiarisation, so we did not expect so much in this first game.

KIER astro turf field

KDI United Football Club 'First Team'
Standing from L-R: Bondy Bukva (Czech Republic), Kim (Korea) Keith Hamusute (Zambia - African Champs),
Sergio Villegas (Colombia), Peter Akac (Slovakia), Yeshi (Bhutan), Dhen (Korea), Andre Warken (Brasil)
Sitting from L-R: Jose Emanuel (Peru), (Lao DPR), Jung Jr. (Korea), Jose Scholz (Bolivia), Haftom Teferi (Ethiopia),
Afdal Izal (Malaysia), (Lao DPR)
Looking at our team of internazionale, we were hoping for a dynamic team. I prefer to call them International XI as we had team mates from all over the world.

The game was played in five quarters with 20 minute intervals. It seems this is how Koreans play football here, and somehow that answers my question on Park Ji-sung never ending running on the field playing for Manchester United. They sure can run.

And guess what? We scored the first goal. Yeay! Me in my usual position since U-12, being a fan of Peter Shilton the Engand goal keeper, I managed to save a few crucial shots and after the fifth quarter, let's just say we're 3 goals down in margin. Hehe... it was a good game though.

KDI United in Orenge
From KIER, I had to attend a class at 1400H, the game finished at 1230H and arrived campus at just over 1300H. Cleaned myself up and went straight to Academic Writing class. I was sleepy, but managed to go through the 3-hour session.

The next event was an invitation by my buddy, Bryan Kim Myoung Suk through the school's Buddy Program,. Bryan and I met every week since we were assigned together as buddies. He is sincere, can accept my jokes when his jokes are pretty bad (Sorry Bryan - just kidding) accepts and respect the different faith we have. After two weeks, he invited me for a dinner with his family. I appreciated it even more when he said that it will be his son's fourth birthday in Korean age (I'll cover this later).

The Kims 
At first he told me to ride the subway Green Line (Line No. 2) to Samseoung Station and he'll pick me up from there. But, his mum (yes, he is omma's boy) probably scolded him and requested him to drive me from our school to the hotel plaza we're having dinner. I advised him that I do not eat pork (dwaejigogi aniyo) and he was more than happy to accommodate to my request. Thanks Bryan!

Now to the little boy Jun Kim. He certainly is a handful. He was excited to see me even though it was our first meeting, what more seeing an ajeossi (uncle) with a birthday present. Jun reminded me of my sons very much. Active, a chatter, and quite well behaved. He immediately opened his present and played with it. I guess he was very happy to receive my present. At four, he sang a lot of songs that entertained me during our dinner. He spoke to me in Korean and I tried my best to communicate to him. Played the things I play with my sons like paper planes, making funny faces and kids jokes that any language barrier could be broken.

Bryan's mom, Mrs. Grace was a typical mother in the Asian sense of the word. Like their sons to listen to them (well, I am a mama's boy too), makes sure everything is served well and proper, never lets my plate empty and makes sure all of us were well fed.

The hadith that for excellence in the world and hereafter begins with the parent's blessing, is indeed a good reminder for one's strive to success.



قَالَ رَسُولُ اللٌّهِ )ص)مَنْ أَرْضَى وَالِدَيْهِ فَقَدْ أَرْضَى اللٌّهَ وَ مَنْ أََسْخَطَ وَالِدَيْهِ فَقَدَ أَسْخَطَ اللٌّهَ.

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his family) said: “One who pleases his parents has verily pleased Allah, and one who has angered his parents has verily angered Allah.”

Kanzul `Ummal, Volume 16, Page 470


Bryan with his omma

Saengil Chuka Hamnida Jun Kim!
After dinner, (where I consumed a lot of kimchi which Bryan's wife, Sungeong was quite impressed) Sungeong brought us cakes for Jun's birthday and the lil' Kim taught me again to sing the birthday song in Korea: "Saengil chuka hamnida..."

I had a great time with them, and the hospitality of Bryan Kim's family was overwhelming. His mother even "commanded" Bryan to send me back to campus that will take them one-hour return trip. I insisted that Bryan should just send me to the Samseong train station. But arguing with a mom, you know it would go no where. Hahah...

I felt the warmth of Bryan's family when his mom, Grace said to me; "You are our family, you must sacrifice a lot to be far away from your country and leaving your family behind." Even with the cold spring night, I never felt warmer in weeks listening to Bryan's mother words of comfort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments: